Policies and Procedures
St John Ambulance Australia (NSW) St John (NSW) will ensure that qualified and experienced trainers are used to conduct all training courses. Trainers will present approved course material to meet the appropriate standards. Assessments will be conducted in a fair, objective and consistent manner to determine a person's level of competency. Course content and learning outcomes will vary according to the course type and duration.
Access to all courses is subject to:
- Minimum and/or maximum enrolments in the class may be required
Course Delivery Includes:
- Alternative course times and dates
- A second assessment if competencies were not achieved at the first assessment
- Assessment of support needs. This includes access to educational and support services to meet needs when undertaking training programs
- Client support arrangements for persons with language or literacy difficulties. This can be negotiated prior to the commencement of training
- A Statement of Attendance will be supplied if the student is unable to achieve course competencies
Access and Equity (Special Needs)
The objective of the Access and Equity Policy for St John (NSW) is to ensure that the community has equitable access to, and involvement in, training and assessment. This is achieved through non-discriminatory procedures which allow access for all members of the community. St John (NSW) will make reasonable adjustments to ensure students have equal access to training and assessment.
Language Literacy and Numeracy (LLN)
St John (NSW) understands the importance of skills in English language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) and recognises that many adults do not have the LLN skills they need to effectively participate in training and workplace communication. Like our Access and Equity Statement, students with language, literacy and numeracy concerns should be able to receive all the benefits of training and assessment.
Students with LLN skill needs should contact St John (NSW) before their course so we can provide them with the relevant tailored opportunities to complete their learning and assessment requirements when attending our courses. Students should also speak to their trainer before the course starts if they have any LLN needs they wish to discuss.
Assessment and Reassessment
The objective of the Assessment Policy for St John (NSW) is to ensure that we provide consistent quality assessment practices and work to continuously improve these practices.
Learners who have been deemed NOT YET COMPETENT in an initial assessment may apply for reassessment within a six week timeframe from the date of the course free of charge. Where appropriate the Learner will be advised in writing of the reassessment process.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)/Credit Transfer
St John (NSW) recognises first aid qualifications or certificates issued by other Registered Training Organisations (RTO's) in Australia. Qualifications and certificates outside of Australia will require assessment. This assessment is to be carried out in accordance with training protocols and may incur a fee.
Complaints and Appeals
Individuals and students have the right to seek redress if they have a complaint or feel they have been unfairly treated. The procedure to follow is:
- Discuss the grievance with the trainer at the time of the course
If the resolution is unsatisfactory or requires further action:
- A written complaint can be sent via email or letter to the TQM.
- Complaints or appeals are recorded in the Complaints Register and are actioned within 20 working days of receipt by the TQM
Access to Training Records
Students can obtain information about their training records by contacting our Customer Service team on 1300 ST JOHN or email to email@example.com
Workplace Health and Safety
St John (NSW) has a responsibility to provide a safe and healthy environment for their employees, customers and visitors. Under the Work Health & Safety Legislation Act 2011, course participants also have certain responsibilities. These include:
- Undertaking activities in a safe manner and following any emergency instructions given
- Not putting themselves or anyone else at risk
- Reporting an injury/illness or "near miss" to a trainer
Client Conduct: Students are expected to behave in a courteous manner. Failure to do so can result in being asked to leave the course.
Course Fees, Refunds and Transfer Policy
A full refund of fees paid will be given if:
- St John (NSW) cancels a class and cannot nominate a suitable attendance date
- A notice in writing/email is given ten (10) business days prior to the commencement of the course
A part of the fees paid will be refunded if:
- Less than ten (10) business days’ notice is given (50% refund of fees may be given)
No refund or transfer will be given:
- If the class has already commenced
- Once a voluntary transfer has been arranged
- The first aid course must be completed within three (3) months of original course date and course transfer will incur a $30.00 administration fee.
- Refunds may require a written request and copy of invoice
Product/Kit delivery and Refund Policy
Goods will be delivered Monday to Friday during business hours only. Please allow up to seven (7) working days for delivery.
A signature will be required at the delivery address when receiving goods. Damaged or faulty products must be returned in original packaging within fourteen (14) days for replacement or refund. Title does not transfer until full payment is received.
Your privacy is respected by St John (NSW). Information provided may be used in course administration and provided to training staff.
You will normally be reminded when your current certificate is due for renewal. You may also be provided with information about other St John (NSW) services including an annual Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) reminder. If you do not want to receive this information, have privacy concerns or would like to verify information held about you, please contact the Privacy Officer on 1300 340 455 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
St John (NSW) will market training and assessment services in an accurate, ethical and responsible manner. We ensure that all clients are provided with timely and necessary information prior to enrolment.